MCDEVCO Loan Fund
The MCDEVCO Loan Fund provides low-cost financial assistance for new and established businesses in Marathon County. This loan fund is an accessible source of financing for projects that will create and retain private sector jobs, increase incomes, expand local tax base, and leverage bank financing.
MCDEVCO, Marathon County Development Corporation, is committed to ensuring the long-term viability of Marathon County’s economy. McDEVCO has access to the resources and technical support required to retain existing industry, as well as attract new industry. We work with individual business, the bank community, and municipalities to facilitate investment in our region.
MCDEVCO participation is based upon the following;
- Viability of the business concept,
- Potential of the business for growth and job creation
- Number and types of jobs created
- Credit history of the applicant and soundness of the business plan
- Benefit of the project to the Community
The viability of the proposed project will be determined by evaluating the five C’s of credit:
- Character – management capability
- Capacity – ability to repay from cash flow
- Capital – ability to absorb unexpected costs
- Collateral – assets to secure loan funds (including personal assets i.e. home)
- Conditions – general and specific market/economic conditions
Eligibility and Guidelines
- MCDEVCO loan funds may be used to finance acquisition of existing business, land, building, and equipment; working capital; or expansion projects.
- The interest rate is below market interest and term of loan is between 5 to 10 years depending on use of funds
- A minimum of 50% of the project cost must be funded by a private lender and at least 10% by personal equity.
- One full-time job is to be created for each $20,000 loaned.
- The business shall be obligated to maintain operations within the municipality for the term of the loan.
- Personal guaranties are required.
- Refinancing of existing debt is not eligible.
How do I apply?
- Contact MCDEVCO to obtain an application.
- Submit the application with a complete business plan.
- Obtain a letter of commitment from a local financial institution for matching conventional financing.
- Provide Personal Financial Statements for principals with ownership of 20% or greater.
- Contact MCDEVCO to arrange a meeting between you, your banker, and the MCDEVCO loan committee to review the application.
Jim Warsaw, MCDEVCO Loan Fund Manager
200 Washington Street, Suite 120
PO Box 6190, Wausau, WI 54402-6190
Phone: 715-845-6231 or 715-848-5950